Pages

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

recycling unwanted crayons

Tropical storm Fay managed to gloom-ify our day yesterday by being the cause of a ton of rain and our school cancellation. So, we decided to get creative. I'd had a Ziplock of crayons laying around and decided it was time to do something fun with them. Here's the recipe.

Take your unwanted crayons. My girls enjoyed sorting them by color and peeling most of the wrappers off.
crayola

After the wrappers are peeled off, break 'em up into little pieces. Bake in a muffin tin at 170F for 15-30 minutes or until they're totally melted.
little pieces

After they've cooled, stick the pan in the freezer for a few mintues.
They'll pop right out of the muffin tins, and presto: crayon chunks.
crayon cakes

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:35 PM

    These are awesome...I LOVE everything about these!
    Cari

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a fun idea!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HUH! What a cool idea! I have TONS of old/broken crayons around here, I need to do this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE these! I've heard of doing this before, but your pics make me want to go digging for that bag of old crayon nubs and give it a try! The colors in these are great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what a fun project!! LOVE that first shot; your DOF on that is wonderful. I bet the girls had a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great idea! And I have tons of crayons lying around like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the colors! And the reflections in the second shot! I remember always meaning to do this when my kids were little but not getting around to it. I wonder how it would look if you mixed colors. Do you suppose they would just turn into a muddy brown or be speckled and pretty?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are cool. Though we don't use crayons too much around here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cool, we'll have to try that sometime! Great shots too, they're so colorful, they remind me of Easter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great shots...we have done these before with different colors mixed together and made rainbow crayons!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!