Pages

Friday, January 16, 2009

the arctic, really!

Ever since we've moved to Florida, I've been dying to go to the Ice exhibit at the Gaylord Palms Resort. Yes, there's an ice exhibit in Orlando. A bit ironic and extravagant, but nonetheless, fascinating! Ice sculptors from Harbin, China are brought in to create some amazingly detailed work.

Photobucket
Upon entering, everyone receives a beautiful blue parka to keep warm. It's a balmy 9 degrees inside the exhibit.


Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket
The most exciting part of the exhibit: ice slides! A and I had so much fun going down these. By that point, M (who refused to wear her down coat), was freezing cold, and had to leave.



Photobucket

Photobucket
My favorite part of the day? Seeing everyone dressed in hats and scarves! (And the free hot chocolate afterwards!)

I was a bit concerned about taking my camera into and out of such extreme temperatures. (The danger is that condensation can form inside the camera and cause damage.) Apparently putting your camera and lenses into a Ziploc bag during the transitions can help. That way the air temperature around the camera has time to adjust, and if condensation forms, it will form on the bag, not on the camera. It worked for me!

5 comments:

  1. I think it's a great idea to have ice sculptures in Orlando--all of us who live in cold climates aren't really interested in seeing more ice! You don't have to take me there...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool, literally. ;) I can't imagine the energy needed to keep them frozen, it's not THAT cold in Orlando. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow that is an awesome exhibit! The colors are just awesome and I want to go down that slide ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a fun place. Orlando is the ONLY place that could pull that off! COOL pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! I heard about this on a DisUnplugged podcast, so happy to see it now! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!